Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Results!

I thought Hugh Jackman did a masterful job as host.
I just wish we could've seen more of his performance.
Fell asleep around 10:30, woke up at the end of Sean Penn's speech.

So how did I do?
Red= Fail
Green= Success

-Actor in a leading role: Sean Penn - Milk
Frank Langella should've won this. It was a breakaway performance, out of nowhere and it was intense and flawless. But Sean Penn did go "Full Gay" so...

-Actor in a supporting role: Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
I think this is very unfair. An oscar, among other things, serves to promote an artist within this industry. It allows an actor to get more roles, better roles with better money. Heath Ledger already received the Golden Globe and many other prizes for his stellar performance in The Dark Knight. But I think the Oscar should've been given to an actor that can actually enjoy what this statue brings.

-Actress in a leading role: Kate Winslet - The Reader
This was a no brainer. She absolutely deserves it and I hope this means we will see more of this great actress in the coming years.

-Actress in a supporting role: Penelope Cruise - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
I won't bitch about this but I don't really like Penelope Cruise and I can't stand Woody Allen movies. So no more on this. Marisa Tomei deserved it completely.

-Animated feature film: Wall-E
Again, no contest here. Wall-E was vastly superior to all animation films released in 2008.

-Art Direction: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
I predicted this with success but I thought Dark Knight would've won, if only for turning Chicago into a believeable Gotham City... An entire city. Oh well.

-Cinematography: Slumdog Millionaire
This film looked very good but there was nothing really special about its visuals. It served its purpose. Button or Dark Knight deserved it more in my humble opinion.

-Costume Design: The Duchess
Period piece. No contest.

-Directing: Slumdog Millionaire (Danny Boyle)
I'm glad Danny Boyle won. I really like his work.

-Editing: Slumdog Millionaire
Sorry but Dark Knight deserved this big time.

-Makeup: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
This was obvious. Great work.

-Music(Score): Slumdog Millionaire
The score was just fantastic in Slumdog. However...

-Music(Song): Slumdog Millionaire (Jai Ho)
...No!

-Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire
I was torn between this and Button. It was 50/50 for me but while watching the show it became clear who would take the prize.

-Sound editing: Slumdog Millionaire
Dark Knight deserved it!

-Sound mixing: The Dark Knight
Ok then.

-Visual Effects: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
This is the category that less artsy films win SOMETHING. Should've gone to Iron Man, if only to acknowledge the piece for what it was: A masterfully entertaining film!

-Adapted screenplay: Slumdog Millionaire
Yeah ok. Pretty good. ;)

-Original screenplay: Milk
Fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment